Kitty Corner – Seven #lovelansing Locales with Gifts for the Dude
Oh, the dude.
The guy on your gift list who can wear both pink and plaid unironically, knows how to grill a steak and set up a tent in 10 minutes flat, and rocks a suit like nobody’s business. He’s a tough guy to buy for – if he needs something, he goes out and gets it.
1. Merindorf Meats – with two locations (Mason and Williamston) this classic butcher shop if THE place to go for the freshest cuts of beef, pork and more. Get your dude a gift certificate (I’m told the bacon is the best in town) or four fillets and he’ll be mega impressed with your skills.
2. Michigan Brewing Co. – Head out to their Webberville location to pick up their locally-distilled Vodka and Gin – how flippin’ cool would a martini kit with Michigan spirits be?!
Or, try their Washington Ave pub for growlers, six-packs and more. I hear the ‘Big Mac’ beer is great, and for fun, get him some of Kid Rock’s own ‘Bad Ass’ beer.
3. October Moon - This mecca for the ladies doesn’t leave the gents out. They’ve got a great selection of soaps for men – and you KNOW the dude likes to smell good – along with notebooks and office supplies he’d never think to get himself, but would enjoy using. Top it off with one of the bacon chocolate bars, and you’re golden.
4. Schuler Books – If he’s into either books or music, either the Meridian Mall or Eastwood Towne Center location is a must-stop. Not really into either? Schuler has a vast array of art, sports and entertainment books with beautiful pictures he’s sure to love on his coffee table. Bonus – they’ve got one of my favorite ‘gift’ selections in town with wonderful stationary, Frank Loyd Wright picture frames, bookends and art pieces as well as board games and leather journals.
5. Grace - Summer, the proprietor didn’t forget the men in our lives when she put together her collection. These gorgeous silk tie, pocket square and cuff link sets retail under $70 and come in beautiful colors and patterns to spice up his wardrobe. He’ll always get complements on his style when he dons these!
6. Cravings Popcorn – Stop in this Old Town shop and grab a six (or 12) pack of a variety of Chad’s unusual soda pops – Cheerwine and Sundrop are personal faves of this Southern gal - and one of the boxes of assorted corn for a gift that can’t go wrong.
7. Playmakers – This Okemos mecca of all things running will quickly become his favorite place if it isn’t already. I’d tell you to get him a Columbia jacket or some of their really cool gear, but really, get him a gift card. Then he can go in for a personal consultation and fitting for his athletic shoes. And don’t blame me when he starts going there every week for their in-store sessions on form and injuries.
Ok, got it? As a bonus, here’s a couple other spots to hit if you haven’t seen something here that will work: Capitol Macintosh on Michigan Ave in Lansing for all things Apple, Kosicheck’s for the best men’s clothes in town and the Peanut Shop for game-time treats, both on Washington downtown.
So, now the men are covered. Check back tomorrow for the next person on your gift list!